Obituaries
& Tributes

540-662-2523
Immediate Need

Pre-Arrange
Your Funeral

Contact
Us

Site
Search

Our Heritage

         First Generation                            Second Generation

                         

Rodger T. Jones  Robert L. Jones             Laurens P. and Nancy B. Jones

        “Our Family Serving Your Family”

        Third Generation                              Fourth Generation

                        

 Donald K. Jones  Jacqueline Fleming       Daniel K. Jones     Darrin K. Jones

 

Since 1922 the name Jones has been synonymous with trust, caring, and personal service. The Jones family has served Winchester and Frederick County since April of that year when Roger T. Jones and his brother Robert L. Jones, both having worked for the former Kurtz Funeral Home and Furniture Company, began a funeral business known as R.T. Jones & Company. It was their dream to create a family funeral home that reflected their love, care, and strong sense of service for their community, a community of which the Jones family has been members for almost 200 years.

                      

           125 S. Loudoun Street      East Side S. Loudoun Street

The funeral home was originally located on the East side of South Loudoun Street, but shortly thereafter moved across the street to 125 South Loudoun St. At that time the business was small and the two brothers built, repaired, refinished, and sold furniture and antiques as a source of additional income. As the business slowly grew, Laurens P. Jones, the second son of Robert Jones, began working for the Company while a student at Handley High School. His father and uncle fostered Laurens’ friendly spirit and calling for community service and he became enthralled by the sense of satisfaction he received from helping others. After graduation, Laurens served his apprenticeship, attended the Cincinnati College of Embalming and joined the Company full time. He received his Virginia Embalmers and Funeral Directors License in 1930.

Roger Jones’ health began to fail and in 1937 he sold his interest in the business to his nephew, Laurens. The father and son, now partners, changed the name of the firm to Jones Funeral Home. The next year they purchased the house at 302 South Loudoun Street, moved the funeral business, discontinued selling furniture, and devoted themselves entirely to funeral service.

                   

             Original Building                       After Additions

         302 S. Loudoun Street           302 S. Loudoun Street

During the ensuing years Laurens brought his wife Nancy into the business and together the Jones’ saw their commitment to serving the families of their community translate into growth and expansion. The original building was enlarged several times: a four car garage and a casket selection room were added in 1948; a 250 seat chapel was added in 1955; and a three story building consisting of a storage basement, a two car garage, a family room, an enlarged preparation room, and a staff room and apartment was added in 1963.

The Jones Funeral Home was incorporated February 12, 1953. Several years later, in March 1955, Robert Jones retired and transferred his interest in the business to his son Laurens. As years passed, the family’s values and commitment to service were instilled in their children and the ownership and management expanded as the third generation of Jones’ joined the business. Donald K. Jones followed in his father Laurens’ footsteps and served his apprenticeship, attended the Cincinnati College of Embalming and joined the Company full time. Later, Laurens’ son-in-law, James H. Fleming, also joined the family business.

The family constantly strove to improve their services and facilities to better serve the community. During the late 1960's they purchased several adjoining properties to provide additional off street funeral parking, and increased visitation space by moving offices and storage into existing garage space, and building a new garage building.

During the 1970’s Laurens transferred ownership of the funeral home to Donald Jones and Jim Fleming. The funeral business continued to thrive. Donald and Jim determined that the existing building had become insufficient to provide the level of service and facilities that they believed their community deserved. They began the process of acquiring property and building a new facility. The new funeral home at 228 South Pleasant Valley Road was completed and formally opened on August 15, 1980.

gfdgdfgdf

The community showed its appreciation and trust and business continued to increase. A crematory was installed in 1987 allowing the funeral home to do all its own cremations on site, thus ensuring that families desiring cremation received the trusted quality service they have come to expect from the Jones’. The new facility was expanded in 1993 and several business offices, another reception area, and a cremation urn display room were added.

The facilities were further expanded in 1994 with the purchase of the Stephens Cit.y Funeral Home at 5485 Mulberry Street, Stephens City, Virginia

Jones Funeral Home – Stephens City Chapel

Continuing the family tradition, the fourth generation of Jones’ entered community service as Daniel K. Jones joined the family business and began his apprenticeship. Daniel attended the Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science and became a licensed Funeral Director in 1997. Following the death of Donald Jones in 1996, his widow, M. Stephanie owner and his oldest son Darrin K. Jones returned to Winchester to answer the family calling to service. Darrin joined his mother and brother in the business and became a licensed Jones became the primary funeral director in 1999. Now, the funeral business founded 80 years and four generations ago by two Jones brothers is once again in the hands of two Jones brothers.

Stephanie, Darrin, Daniel


 

Immediate Need

If you have immediate need of our services, we're available for you 24 hours a day.

Obituaries & Tributes

It is not always possible to pay respects in person, so we hope that this small token will help.

Pre-Arrangement

A gift to your family, sparing them hard decisions at an emotional time.

Order Flowers

Offer a gift of comfort and beauty to a family suffering from loss.

Daily Grief Support by Email

Grieving doesn't always end with the funeral: subscribe to our free daily grief support email program, designed to help you a little bit every day, by filling out the form below.

Weekly Email Tips to Support a Grieving Friend

It's hard to know what to say when someone experiences loss. Our free weekly newsletter provides insights, quotes and messages on how to help during the first year.

Proudly Serving the Communities of Winchester, Berryville, Frederick County, Clarke County, Gore, Cross Junction, Inwood, Woodstock, Strasburg, Shenandoah County, Hampshire County, Millwood, Stephenson, Whitacre, Middletown, Clearbrook, Front Royal, Stephens City, and Warren County
228 S. Pleasant Valley Road - Winchester, VA 22601 - Phone: 540-662-2523
5485 Mulberry Street - Stephens City, VA 22655 - Phone: 540-869-4072